Hurricane Relief Efforts
EVANSTON, IL – Service is a cornerstone of Sigma Alpha Epsilon’s mission, and we are proud of our members’ efforts to assist their communities when we are called upon. Following Hurricanes Harvey and Irma, we watched with the rest of the country at the devastation the storms caused and the lives that have been affected. In addition, we have received many inquiries from brothers about how they can best mobilize and provide assistance.
The Supreme Council has formed a Hurricane Relief and Recovery Task Force, which is a committee comprised of alumni volunteers who have researched opportunities and identified options for those who want to make a difference. While initial conversations were related to the Houston area, committee members continue to monitor others. Human instinct often leads us to aid in these difficult times with manpower, but city leaders currently are seeking other options. Our goal is to work together as a brotherhood and raise funds and/or needed dry goods in conjunction with reputable, vetted organizations.
Here are two options for those members and friends who wish to provide support:
- Help raise and contribute a minimum of $20 per person from your chapter, colony or alumni association. CLICK HERE to make your gift.
- Donate a minimum of one package of dry goods per person from your chapter or alumni association.
We have created a relationship with the University of Houston Alumni Association, led by Brother Mike Pede, for giving via the link listed above. Gifts are directed to a special Sigma Alpha Epsilon fund at the school under its official 501(c)(3) non-profit status, and this charitable entity will track of all donations and contact information for those who make a gift.
The city’s alumni association will have oversight of the funds and make recommendations on their distribution by providing details to the Supreme Council. The primary focus of all funds raised is to support the following three core areas:
- University of Houston Emergency Fund for keeping students in school
- School supplies for primary school children in different regions affected by the recent storms, including those in Florida
- Supporting efforts of charities that care for the elderly in affected areas, including Florida
If you choose to support our effort by donating dry goods, items may be sent to:
Sigma Alpha Epsilon Alumni Association
3204 Cullen Blvd.
Houston, TX 77204
We hope you will consider our efforts that support our mission and commitment to helping others in communities affected by these disasters.